Kasi Lemmons, Debra Martin Chase and Cynthia Erivo Talk ‘Harriet’
Bringing the life of political activist and abolitionist Harriet Tubman to film was accomplished by a dedicated creative team that includes writer-director Kasi Lemmons, producer Debra Martin Chase, and actress Cynthia Erivo.
Hear all three women when they discuss the much anticipated feature film, Harriet, at Produced By: New York.
1. This is the first feature film to depict the life of Harriet Tubman, who escaped slavery and went on to free hundreds of enslaved people through a network of secret routes and safe houses known as the Underground Railroad.
2. Kasi Lemmons made her directorial debut in 1997 with the critically acclaimed and award-winning film, Eve’s Bayou.
3. Producer Debra Martin Chase ran Denzel Washington’s production company Mundy Lane Entertainment from 1992 to 1995 and Whitney Houston’s Brown House Productions from 1995 to 2000. She formed her own company, Martin Chase Productions in 2000.
4. Debra Martin Chase is the first African-American woman producer to have a deal with a major studio, having been associated with the Walt Disney Company from 2001 to 2016.
5. This is the third film to feature actor Cynthia Erivo, who has previously appeared in Bad Times at the El Royale (2018) and Widows (2018).
6. At the time of casting, Erivo was performing as Celie Johnson in the Broadway revival of The Color Purple. Erivo has won an Emmy, a Grammy, and a Tony.
Harriet is scheduled to be theatrically released in the United States on November 1, 2019, by Focus Features.
Check out this and other Producing Masterclass sessions at Produced By: New York. The full day conference takes place Saturday, November 9 at the Florence Gould Hall in midtown Manhattan.
This event will sell-out. Register today.
Members of the Producers Guild of America (PGA) pay only $150.00 with discounts off the regular non-member rate available to members of NYWIFT, SAG-AFTRA, UPWIFT and WGAE.